This is my simplified hyderabadi chicken biriyani recipe. If you want to make chicken biriyani that is perfect in terms of taste and splendid in terms of its presentation, then this is not the recipe for you. This is a recipe for those who want to cook quickly and are happy with less than a perfect biriyani.
Part A (in case if you do not know about a spice mentioned below, simply Google it)
1 chicken (cut into 8 or 4 pieces)
250 grams yogurt
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon of ginger pate
1 tablespoon of biriyani masala
1/2 tea spoon red chili powder
1/2 tea spoon of coriander powder
½ tea spoon of cumin powder
½ tea spoon of turmeric power
1 large tomato minced
3-4 green chilies
2 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 bay leaves
3 pieces of cinnamon stick
5-6 black pepper
1 medium sized potato cut into several pieces
2-3 dried lemon (optional)
8 medium sized onion, chopped (the rule of thumb is you need 1 onion for each 100 grams of rice)
1 cup oil (you have to guesstimate, may be you will need more or less)
750 grams of rice
Mint leaves (chopped, amount as you like)
Coriander leaves (chopped, amount as you like)
How to cook it:
- Mix all Part A ingredients and set them aside for about an hour.
- Take four chopped onions and fry them till they are dark brown. It is called beresta.
- In a pot, take oil and fry the remaining four chopped onions along with Part B ingredients for about 5 minutes.
- Then add Part A ingredients, one cup of water, and the beresta with Part B ingredients.
- Cook for about 30-40 minutes in a medium flame. Set the chicken curry aside.
- Soak rice in water for about half an hour.
- Cook the rice. The rice should be 40% cooked. If you overcook the rice, you will spoil your biriyani. Stop cooking the rice 3-4 minutes after the water comes to boil.
- Drain the water.
- Mix the rice with chicken curry, coriander leaves, and mint leaves. I do not believe in setting up things in layers. Because when things settle up in our stomach, they do not settle in any ordered layers.
- Tightly put the lid of your cooking pot. Now set your cooking pot over a used tawa or any round shaped metal and heat the pot over the tawa in a very low flame for about 45-50 minutes.
Finally serve with salad or raita!
Below are some pictures that I took while cooking biriyani: